Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are the metrics for your plan. Time-based KPIs can be graphed according to numeric, percentage, or currency-based goals, with color-coded (green-yellow-red) performance thresholds and target values, allowing for both progress monitoring and trend analysis. Having measurable goals that can be linked to strategies and action plans across departments allows for transparent communication and proactive pursuit of strategies, enabling execution.
To create a Key Performance Indicator, complete these steps:
- From your Strategic Plan, click the breadcrumb at the top of the page and select Key Performance Indicator.
- Click the Key Performance Indicators plus icon and add a KPI.
- When the new Key Performance Indicator window opens, complete these steps:
- Enter a name for your KPI.
- Press the Tab key on your computer to populate the Tag name for your KPI.
- Click the drop-down to select the owner for your KPI.
- Enter a description for your KPI. Give a description that lends clarity to what the KPI is and why it is important, or a target state of what you want that KPI to look like.
- Click the drop-down to select any categorization tags or enter your own. List key words or phrases that would ‘tag back’ to the specific KPI. The tags are clickable and will pull up everything with the same tag.
- Select your type of measure, which can be a dollar, number, or percentage value.
- Click the drop-down to select your frequency of measure (Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, or Annually). This relates back to how often you will enter in Data Points for your Key Performance Indicator.
- Click the drop-down to select your target period. Depending on what you chose for your frequency of measure, the drop-down will provide the relevant options.
- Type in the target value you want to achieve.
- Configure the threshold parameters. Select if your metric should be measured in Ascending or Descending order. Then, adjust your sliders to show what levels would be considered green, yellow, or red. Ensure the slider numbers stay under your target value numbers. If your Target Value is over 100, type in the new number first and then adjust the slider values. If your Target Value is under 100, change the slider values first (to be under the new number) and then type in your Target Value.
- Click Publish when you are finished. If not, click Save as draft or Cancel. If you save as draft, the KPI will automatically populate in the Assign/Draft widget on the Dashboard.